Wednesday, September 16, 2009

New employment opportunities

So, yesterday, while standing at a service counter with my son, we were noticing and commenting on the fact that on the TV's that were on to entertain the customers waiting for their number to be called were all tuned to FoxNews. After we made a few snide remarks about why FoxNews and not CNN or MSNBC or any other news outlets, comments which may be fodder for another of my rants, we both noticed that reporting from the field in Afghanistan was one Col. Oliver North (ret.).

Immediately what popped into my head was a new addition to an old adage I have heard:

"Them that can, do. Them that can't, teach. Them that are experts, but got fired or resigned and now can't find work doing what they did, become expert reporters."

Think about how many ex-NFL head coaches are on ESPN and CBS Sports now. How many ex-MLB managers and general managers are on the sports shows as well. And Ollie North ain't the only expert reporter on network news. Am I wrong?

1 comment:

  1. A wise old friend of mine once told me the definition of an "expert" which is a "has-been drip under pressure". I'd say Ollie North falls into that category. :-)

    ReplyDelete